Frequently Asked Questions
CrunchBase is the free directory of technology companies, people and investors that everyone can edit.
- How can I become a registered user of CrunchBase?
- How can I add a company/person profile?”.
- How can I edit a company/person profile?
- Why have my edits/profile not gone live?
- How do I know the data is accurate?
- There are 2 versions of a company page/a personal profile.
- Our company name is taken. And when I search it does not come up.
- When I make a submission to CrunchBase, it says “Company name is blank”.
- How can I add a link within the overview?
- How can I add a link for photo attribution?
- What types of information can I add to a CrunchBase profile?
- Guidelines on entering data in CrunchBase
How can I become a registered user of CrunchBase?
You can become a registered user through Facebook Connect. The link is on our homepage http://www.crunchbase.com. You can then track all your edits on your CrunchBase page.
How can I add a new company/person profile?
How can I edit a company/person profile?
You can edit a company or person profile by searching for the profile on and then clicking on the respective edit buttons. You will see a left hand menu, which allows you to click and select which area you wish to update.
Why have my edits/profile not gone live?
All changes to CrunchBase profiles go through a moderation queue before going live on the service. Entries will go live within a 24 to 48 hour time period. You will be able to make further edits once an entry is live.
How do I know the data is accurate?
You do not know if the data is accurate. As multiple people edit CrunchBase profiles of companies, financial organizations and people, some mistakes might be added. Information might also be out of date. If you notice anything that needs changing you can go ahead and edit the page.
There are 2 versions of a company page/a personal profile.
Please send CrunchBase an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org citing both urls and we will remove the duplicate. Indicate which is the preferred one to use.
Our company name is taken. And when I search it does not come up.
Send us an e-mail at email@example.com and we will add the company name and reply to let you to edit it further. The company profile could be in our moderation queue and it will go live within 24-48 hours. You can make further edits, once it has gone live.
When I make a submission to CrunchBase, it says “Company name is blank”.
This indicates that one of the fields most likely the competitor field or subscriber field has been left blank. This will be highlighted in yell. Click on remove for the appropriate field and then submit your entry.
How can I add a link within the overview?
Use the following formatting for e.g. [TechCrunch](http://www.techrunch.com) will create a link to TechCrunch without showing the URL.
How can I add a link for photo attribution?
Make sure to use photos that are either in the public domain or have a specific free use license like CC-BY or GFDL. For free use licenses you need to provide attribution. Attribution should be linked back to the page you found the image on. If you find an image on a social networking site give credit to both the site and the individual. For e.g. Attribution: [Bill Johnson / LinkedIn](http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/20/694)
What types of information can I add to a CrunchBase profile?
- General information: Company name, URL, Blog, Blog feed, Phone, E-mail, and Founding date
- Overview of a company
- Tags: – Categories a company is in
- Service Providers & Legal and pr service providers to a company
- External Links
Once an entry is approved you can add Videos and Milestones.